Portfolio

ART BY FUZZY

Corey Boland – 3D/2D Game Artist

Game Development Portfolio

Below are links to personal or student projects i’ve worked on.
– Rogue Commander (Unity Game)
– The Spire (UDK Level)
– AIE Construct3D Challenge
– AIE Character Assignment
– Zbrush Busts
– Research Assignment
– General 3D ART

Skills

(Visual & Technical)

Character Design
Modeling/Sculpting
Illustration & Concept Art
Beauty Rendering
Game Design
Texture Art
Level Design
Particle Effects
Tutorials
Basic Rigging

Education

Academy of Interactive Entertainment, Sydney
Advanced Diploma
Professional Game Art course
– Autodesk Maya (Modelling, Rigging, Animation, Surfacing & Lighting, Retopology, Mental Ray & Rendering)
– Pixologic Zbrush
– Autodesk Mudbox
– 3D Coat (Retopology)
– Adobe Photoshop (Hand-painting, Concepting, Ndo2, Ddo, Texturing)
– Xnormal
– Marmoset Toolbag
– Unreal Engine
– Unity Engine

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Rogue Commander

Game

Rogue Commander
A turn-based rogue-lite game set in a cyberpunk interior. Play as a squad of four mercenaries hired to take out the threat of space goblins and ogres who captured an important intelligence building.

game1 game3 game4 game5 game6

My work on the project
There were five artists on the team. I did the following tasks:

Created all characters using Zbrush, Maya and Photoshop.

  • Sculpted / Modeled
  • UV’d, Baked and Textured

Created all sprites with Photoshop and Unity’s particle system

Upgrade Icons – designed in Photoshop

3 Props/Cover – Bust statue, sci-fi barrier, computer terminal

  • – Sculpted / Modeled
  • – UV’d, Baked and Textured
  • 1 atlas of normal’s texture everyone could use for the walls
  • Written character dialogue and personality traits
  • Used the level editor the programmers made to create different levels
  • Showed the artists how I texture and what tools I use to keep it similar
  • Concepted all characters/enemies
  • Worked on design document and technical document
  • Created 36 types of cover prefabs early
  • Created a main menu soldier bust with a cube-map shader (did not get implemented)
  • Created a GIBS death animation for the Ogre (did not get implemented)
  • Created 2 other characters – Soldier and Gunslinger (did not get implemented)

Postmortem
What went right / lessons learned
A few of the successes we had were:

  • Our team was quick to get back on track after certain setbacks and remained flexible to account for the various feature changes during development.
  • he programming turned out fine regardless of the overwhelming complexity and large scope of our game.
  • Individual art assets looked the part, especially the characters.
  • Building our first professional level middle-ware with great art pipeline, voice acting, music and sounds and all mechanics working.
  • The outline shader effect showed who is friendly or foe, finding your team quickly and just looked awesome.
  • The procedural generation of the maps was the key mechanic to this game, it added exploring and different types of room layouts to keep it fresh.
  • Music and voices added a lot of character to the game and the music made the game more alive and action packed.
  • I had to create a design and technical document over the weekend aswell as concepting characters, once I finished the design/technical document we had a Skype call to get everyone on the same page and also take things out that weren’t necessary or didn’t work.
  • Trello is a fantastic website for project management and we were able to see where everyone was at, incoming play-tests with our goals
  • Having a technical artist checking everything before it went into the game engine was a huge plus that definitely made importing packages/assets into unity a much smoother workflow.

What went wrong
We dealt with a lot of issues while creating the game, these problems were:

We had no early prototypes made in the prior 6 weeks of our 1 week prototypes because we were originally doing an RTS. The Industry people who listened to our RTS presentation basically saved us by telling us there is no way it could be done in the time we have. After the presentation we had to think of a new game – which I thought of as a turn based game with procedural generated rooms and death meant loosing your characters but you still keep the money/skills you collected. This impacted our early builds by not having a decent build for the first two play-tests for actual game-play.

  • Characters needed to be lit up more.
  • Movement while out of combat was the same and made it slow/tedious.
  • Weapon/level up sound was very rushed
  • Character voices in every movement/attack was annoying.
  • The random generation of maps was a great feature but due to a rather low pool of art assets to choose from, the level variation left something to be desired, although the artists continued to create assets, because of time constraints and complications, they were not included into the game.

Overall with everything that went wrong I think we still pulled through strong and gained extremely valuable experience into how to plan and execute a project. Most importantly, even throughout the tight deadlines and the stress, we all had a lot of fun.

  1. Research Assignment p8 Video Tutorial Leave a reply
  2. Research assignment p7 AnimationScript Leave a reply
  3. Research assignment p6 Shader Leave a reply
  4. Research Assignment p5 Mecanim Leave a reply
  5. Research Assignment p4 Texturing Leave a reply
  6. Research Assignment p3 Zbrushing folds and baking to normal map Leave a reply
  7. AIE Constructed Challenge Leave a reply
  8. WIP 2 AIE Constructed Challenge Leave a reply
  9. Research Assignment – Post 2 Leave a reply